PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

"Masculine" Black Empire Dresser

post by Katie

This was another garage sale find, it was a little rough with the veneer bubbling and coming off in places, but the drawers worked good, and the price was right, so I loaded it up.

I have yet to experience easy veneer removal, so it was kind of a long process, I just preyed off what I could, then soaked and removed what I could with a putty knife.  I just kept doing that until all the veneer was gone.  It took about a week, working on it a little every day.  I don't know if this is the easiest method, but this is way my dad taught me so that's how I did it.

 I searched empire dresser on Pinterest, and loved the black. so that's what I decided to do.

It came with plain silver knobs, about half way through I thought about using these handles.  

It seemed sort of masculine to me(not that it wouldn't look good in a ladies bedroom, or maybe an entryway)so I printed the little labels as if it belonged to a gentleman back in the day.



Here is the before...

So that's pretty much it.  It's waiting for for it's gentleman in a vest and top hat to pick it up;)

Thanks so much for stoppin' by

                                                                          Katie

Sharing with ~

Home Stories A to Z
                                                                 The Dedicated House

17 comments:

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Katie! I think black was a good choice and I love those pulls with the labels. Such a great makeover!

Leena Milligan Lanteigne said...

Wonderful job! I love the black with the distressing around the edges and those printed handles are the best! Never seen any with labels in them before! So cool! Hugs, Leena

andi filante said...

Wow! It looks fantastic! I LOVE the pulls at the bottom!!

-andi

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh I love this makeover. How fantastic is this. The pulls are so perfect. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Katie @ Creatively Living said...

Wow! That turned out beautiful! I love those handles!
Thanks for linking it up at Monday Funday!

sweetvintageofmine said...

What can I say...this is awesome! I just plain LOVE this! Beautiful work and creativity.....Blessings, from one sweetie to another~~~Roxie

Susan @ SunflowerHugs said...

This is an amazing transformation!

Fiona, Lilyfield Life said...

hi Katie, I love it and I love the handles you have used! perfect
Fiona x

Anonymous said...

What a transformation! I love the finish and I love your choice of handles, the labels look fantastic. Take care - Dawn

Marta Morer i Esther Fornell (L´Antiga de Ripoll) said...

Is perfect!!! I love it
Esther

http://lantigaderipoll.blogspot.com.es/

Kathy Owen, Petticoat Junktion said...

Great makeover Faye, where did you get those handles! visiting from MMS

Botanic Bleu said...

Great make-over. Love the drawer pulls and the black, worn-edge finish...

Judith

Deborah@Green Willow Pond said...

Beautiful! I love the knobs too. Did you use chalk paint on this? Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Have a great week!

Hugs,
Deborah

Unknown said...

Thank you all so much for your kind comments, they make my day! In response to the chalk paint question, no I didn't this is actually a recycled latex paint that we use. I did however use a clear finish I think it was Minwax brand.

Gabrielle Mader said...

Love how it came out...black is perfect choice..but where did you get the bin pulls with the labels..I'm redoing my kitchen and I'm sourcing out knobs and I want something different. came over from MMS.

Sharon @ Elizabeth & Co. said...

I love the choice of black, the cool pulls and the crystal knobs - just perfect!

RealHouseWifeOfNOVA said...

I love this!

Post a Comment